Thursday, July 21, 2011

A little bit of writing

One of my longtime creative dreams is to write and illustrate children's books. This week I've taken a bit of a departure from my knitting and etsy shop to focus more on this goal. I finished writing, editing and drawing art samples for two stories that I've been working on. And all in less than a week!
I'm a bit of a perfectionist and my first project took years for me to even consider sending it to a publisher. I have since sent it and other stories to many different publishers and like any beginning writer, I have begun my collection of rejection letters. It is an interesting business in that a rejection doesn't necessarily mean that the piece is horrid. It's all about matching the right manuscript with the right publisher at the right point in time. Overall it seems like a bit of a gamble, but it is something I enjoy so I think it is important.
I'm hoping that it's a bit easier to get stories published in magazines than it is to get books published. I just biked down to the post office to send off a story to a children's magazine. I feel pretty good about this one. Then again, I've felt good about all the others. We'll see. I do know that if you have a dream, you shouldn't give up on it. It's a bit cheesy, but it's true. And so, I will keep writing.

Here's one of my art samples who is now on her way through the mail hoping that some one will want to publish her!


1 comment:

  1. You are so talented! Someone will want to publish your work!

    ReplyDelete